Look closely at the wavelengths between 400 - 470 (violet and blue) and
the wavelenghts between
610 - 720 (orange and red) in the image below (nm = nanometer):
The red and blue wavelengths of the light spectrum predominantly impact
the plants photosynthesis process. Generally, blue enhances vegetative
growth, while red promotes flowering. LED grow lamps that contain these
light frequencies scientifically manipulate photosynthesis.
200 - 280 nm
UVC ultraviolet range
which is extremely harmful to plants because it is highly toxic.
280 - 315 nm
Includes harmful UVB ultraviolet light which causes plant colors to fade.
315 - 380 nm
Range of UVA ultraviolet light which is neither harmful nor beneficial
to plant growth.
380 - 400 nm
Start of visible light spectrum. Process of chlorophyll absorption begins.
UV protected plastics ideally block out any light below this range.
400 - 520 nm
This range includes violet, blue, and green bands. Peak absorption by
and a strong influence on photosynthesis. (promotes vegetative growth)
520 - 610 nm
This range includes the green, yellow, and orange bands and has less absorption
610 - 720 nm
This is the red band. Large amount of absorption by chlorophyll occurs,
and most significant influence on photosynthesis. (promotes flowering
720 - 1000 nm
There is little absorption by chlorophyll here. Flowering and germination
At the high end of the band is infrared, which is heat.
Totally infrared range. All energy absorbed at this point is converted
For a more
detailed explanation, click link below:
WHY LED GROW LAMPS AND PHOTOSYNTHESIS GO HAND IN HAND
Here are the
advantages and benefits
you’ll get from LED Grow Lamps
· No special bulky or heavy ballast is needed that eventually burns out
and needs to be replaced
· Use a simple standard inexpensive light bulb socket
· Plants, like trees, best utilize the Blue and Red wavelengths for chlorophyll
production during photosynthesis
· LED’s don’t produce harmful heat that can injure and burn
your plants, or yourself, which can grow right up next to the bulbs better
utilizing the space you have
· LED’s are extremely energy efficient, will not consume large amounts
of expensive energy in comparison to metal halide or high pressure sodium systems,
and will save you tremendously on your energy bill
· LED’s have long bulb lives ranging from 100,000 to 150,000 hours!
· LED’s don’t require any special cooling fans or reflectors
as other grow lamps do
· Blue wavelengths enhance
vegetative growth, while Red wavelengths promote flowering during photosynthesis
· LED grow lamps don’t produce the annoying white glare produced
by other grow lamps and are compatible to the human eye, your home and plants,
providing just the right combination of light energy plants need
· LED’s are environmentally safe and don’t contain any hazardous
chemical elements, like mercury, found in metallic vapor and florescent lamps